Mandatory Helmet Law for Montana

Motorcycle-haters have apparently set their sights on Montana for the next mandatory helmet law: http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/2007/lchtml/...

Motorcycle-haters have apparently set their sights on Montana for the next mandatory helmet law:

http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/2007/lchtml/LC1683.htm

Montana, which enjoys the reputation of being one of the freest states in the nation, is now the target of liberals who wish to put an end to "freedom of choice". What better place to start than in Big Sky Country?

The American Motorcycle Association already sent a letter to State Representative Betsy Hands (D), the author of this bill. However, the AMA went about it the old way of stating "freedom of choice" and "bikers rights", the same argument that has failed time and time again.

The reason why they're introducing mandatory helmet laws, however, is because it shifts the burden of safety to the rider. In other words, it's the cheapest solution.

All of us bikers know that if everyone drove and rode more carefully, helmets wouldn't be necessary. But how do you force automobile drivers to drive more carefully?

Well, one way is to hire more cops, like triple the number of cops. But that costs lots of money. When a state like Montana has problems with unemployment, farmers going out of business, schools cutting programs, etc., it makes motorcycle safety seem trivial. It's easier to make helmets mandatory.

In the long run, converting more people into bikers may eventually turn the tide on mandatory helmet laws. But short of doing that, the only way to shift the laws into our favor is reduce the number of accidents. I don't know how we're supposed to do that, but as long as motorcycle fatality rates continue to climb, bikers are going to see more restrictive laws.

Related

News 116806899862314508

Post a Comment

  1. Soon we`ll have to wear helmets in the shower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder how many deaths from head injuries in car accidents there are.And wonder how many would be prevented by requiring cagers to wear helmets?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope more states like Montana adopt helmet laws and or expand them beyond requiring them for juveniles. If you "live to ride," then you should "ride to live" which includes protecting your melon so you have the wits to go after the offending cager versus just leaving your family with a "pinebox settlement."

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Pinebox settlement"...hmmm, yet another sheep who believes everything that comes across the TV, believing phrases like, "Helmets Save Lives", etc. I can produce page after page of proof to the contrary, yet the Safety Nazis keep spewing the same ol' song...WITHOUT PROOF! Research for yourself...ask the helmet manufacturers...they will tell you that their product are only effective up to 13MPH...nothing stops the brain from sloshing around INSIDE the skull. Ever hear about "Shaken Baby Syndrome"?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why do i need a Law to MAKE ME do Something to protect myself? If I want to wear it I will, If you want to wear one than so be it, why does Your lifestyle have to Effect mine? You keep your laws in your house and I will keep mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How come no one complains about being forced to wear seatbelts under mandatory seat belt laws? My father and I used to ride all the time without helmets. One year ago, he was killed in an accident and the doctors said had he been wearing a helmet, he probably would have been able to go home the next day. I will never be able to ride again without a helmet, assuming I can bring myself to get on a bike again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you are a concious rider, you shouldn't have to worry about needing a helmet. 45% of those killed in motorcycle accidents were not wearing helmets. That doesn't mean that they would have been any better off if they were wearing one. I know from experience that a helmet doesn't "SAVE" your brain from damage caused by an accident. whether you have a helmet on or not, 1 in every 5 accidents are not critical. That means that even if you are wearing a helmet, you still only have a 20% chance of walking away from the wreck unharmed. Anyways, making us wear helmets isn't going to change anything. 80% of all motorcycle accidents were caused by other motor vehicle drivers. My husband and I have a fairly loud bike so other stupid drivers are aware that we're there. Most don't like it, but it has saved out butts more than once. The problem we have are those stupid ass people that are multitasking while driving. They don't pay attention to those around them and just don't see or hear bikes.

    ReplyDelete

emo-but-icon

Follow Us

Sponsor

Latest News

Sponsor

Hot This Week

Sponsor

item